Wednesday, September 11, 2013

I'll never forget the 9th anniversary of 9/11

I was heading to a close friend's birthday dinner.

It was good to do something fun on a day that I usually just found myself watching MSNBC's "As It Happened" coverage. I do that every year. (This was actually the first year I didn't do just that...it was the first 9/11 that wasn't a weekend or when I wasn't working a 9 to 5 schedule in several years.)

I passed a little boy on a bicycle. He was probably six or seven.

I didn't know this kid, and he gave me a peace sign.

I reacted the only way I knew how...by giving him one back and promptly bursting into tears when he was out of view.

He wasn't alive in 2001. He never knew a world pre-9/11.

His sweet little face and his peace sign just filled me with the most overwhelming feeling of hope that I have ever felt, and I needed it, and I believe he was put in my path for a reason that day.

I will remember him every 9/11 for the rest of my life.

Diana Rissetto

No comments: