Sunday, April 15, 2012

Did that guy just John Slattery me?

When I was in the 4th-5th grade, I completely loved this TV show Homefront that really wasn't meant for me, but for my grandmothers (if I had them. I didn't.) I've always loved the 1940's and this series...about a small Ohio town adjusting to life after World War II...was everything I liked to imagine the era was like.

John Slattery, who has since been in EVERYTHING and is currently on Mad Men, was on Homefront.  Everybody knows John Slattery's face, even if they don't know his name. He's "that guy". That guy who has been in everything.

But he's still Al Kahn to me.


He will always be Al Kahn to me.



A few years ago, I was at a party and John and his wife walked-in. (His wife also played Bela Karoli's wife in the Nadia Comaneci TV movie my sister and I watched a thousand times as kids).

All I could think of was, "That guy played Al Kahn!"

I did something I so rarely do and approached him when he was done talking to his hoards of fans and friends and said, "I just have to tell you...I really loved Homefront." 

If I could film myself impersonating the reaction John Slattery gave me to that statement, I would. He kinda squinted, rolled his head back and then when he finally made eye contact with me, his face clearly said, "What the EFF?"

He was shocked!

Am I really the only person who remembers Al Kahn and Homefront?

(I hope not!)

He asked me how old I was when the show was on and I told him 9.

John Slattery kept repeating, "Nine. Nine. Nine. You were NINE."

He shook my hand and we went our separate ways.

I wondered if I freaked him out, but, seriously? I think I would love it if somebody came-up to me and reminded me of a project I did ages ago and what the impression it had on them!

Last week, I was in the supermarket and a man came-up to me and said, "I KNOW you. You ride the NJ Transit. I used to see you. But I haven't ridden it in six years. I ride the bus now. So it was a while ago."

I nodded. "Okay."

Completely freaked me out.

That guy just John Slattery-d me.

To John Slattery somebody...to go up to somebody you do not know and tell them you remember them from somewhere, something, many years ago.

Diana Rissetto

5 comments:

Net said...

I get "didn't you used to ride a horse named Frog?" from people who were younger than me in 4-H and apparently looked up to me.
I sold Frog in 1991. I was in 7th grade! It's definitely a wt EFF moment when it happens. :)

Lisa said...

Actually, I think he diana'd you... because john slattery was in the receiving end lol... so with your reaction, you John Slattery'd him :D

DianaGolightly said...

I understand that, "John Slattery'd" just obviously sounds funnier...

Cyndi said...

LOL...wasn't he the perverted guy on SATC?

Diana said...

Yes! The politician.