Sunday, January 15, 2012

I became a big fan of a certain AM NY newspaper lady once.

One day, she disappeared and I never saw her again.

I sent this to the "tells us about your favorite promoter!" email address on the AMNY website...this was way back in August 2009. I never DID see her again...
 
Hello,

I was happy to see that there was an email address just for this purpose!


Every morning, right outside of Penn Station, I would be greeted by a delightful, energetic AM NY newspaper lady. She would ALWAYS be singing...usually a mix of "Autumn in New York" and "I Can See Clearly Now the Rain is Gone." I loved seeing her every day, and I know that others felt the same way.

However, I haven't seen her in a few weeks and I was wondering if I could just make sure that she's okay...was she transferred to another location? I'm sure many people miss seeing her. She is a black lady on the corner of 8th and 33rd who is always singing...


Thanks so much for your help!



I never received a response...and it made me worry even more. What if something happened to her and they felt bad telling me?

I STILL wonder about that lady!

I even based a character on her in a play once.

But I never saw her again.

Last week, I was coming home from a show (Harry Connick, Jr. in On a Clear Day You Can See Forever) and a train conductor started talking to me. I caught-up with him a few months ago...he was aware I was out-of-work and noticed I wasn't on the train regularly anymore. He had told me that he thought I had retired or ran-off to Paris with a guy.

But, oh no.

I wish!

He told me he didn't want to be nosy, but asked what field I was in...and that he'd keep his ears open for me and would be thinking the best thoughts for me, because, his exact words...he had been working on this train for over ten years and I have ALWAYS been one of his most pleasant passengers.

That made me cry the second I walked away.

He made my day...and on a day where I had gotten Harry Connick, Jr.'s autograph...that is saying a lot.

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU to this very nice man who is a train conductor.

I realized...I was kinda like the singing AM NY lady to this train conductor! (And I didn't even have to sing!) I didn't realize that any train conductor could possibly notice me enough to be concerned about what happened to me...and maybe the singing AM NY lady would never think that I still think about her today. (I did take this as a sign that I would one day run into her and I'll see she's doing great and I can tell her this personally.)

Somebody told me that out of the hundreds of people he has seen every day for the past ten-plus years, I was one of the most pleasant. You know what? That's enough for me right now! It has to be. This goes hand-in-hand with my previous entry. You just have to hold onto the hope that good things WILL happen for good people. Right now, I'm not winning Tonys (or Emmys. Or Oscars. Or...) I don't have a fancy schmancy job. Or even an actual job. I'm not paired-off with a man (which I find many people consider the pinnacle of success!) But...I'm one of the nicest person out of the thousands that this guy has dealt with over the years! That says something. That says a lot. And I can't forget that right now.



Diana Rissetto

No comments: