Wednesday, July 20, 2011

"On a jetplane to nowhere..."

Paris Hilton just walked off of the set of Good Morning America when she was asked if her moment had passed. She also talked about how she'd been in "the business" for fifteen years. (And what business would that be?) I never saw an episode of any of her various shows (and I know there have been several.) I did watch her interview with Larry King after she was released from prison, and she talked about how much she read the Bible in jail. When Larry asked her her favorite passages, she couldn't answer.

When I worked in Barnes and Noble, I DID hand her book to many customers searching for it and I watched it become a best-seller with a very heavy heart.

I just heard that Kim Kardashian is suing Old Navy because they are using a model who resembles her in their commercials.

(Hey, everybody, I figured now would be a good time to let you all know...I have decided to sue Bernadette Peters. I'm really concerned that she's running around being all petite and pale and curly-haired like I am. Oh, the confusion she is bringing!)

Okay, I actually LIKE the Kardashian family. It started when I caught some of the E! True Hollywood Story about them and they talked about their dad's illness and death.It hit extremely close to home and I realized that the emotions I felt and the ones they felt were pretty much the same. I like the way they treat each other, it's all very typical sister behavior, and, in general, just think they're all very funny and cute and seem sweet.

However, I also can't help but asking...

Who are you, why are you famous and why do you get to be on Dancing with the Stars and I don't?

It all brings to mind the Peter Cincotti song "Broken Children." I actually never knew the title of this song and always called it the "Paris Hilton Song". I wonder if Peter Cincotti had her in mind when he wrote it.

Who's that face
On today’s front page
Sticking to my shoe
Empty eyes
And a real good smile
That's all it takes
To sell the news
She got her name
On Gotham's tongue
But Mama Fame
She eats her young
And half a buck
Ain't half the price you pay

When you got
Broken children
Shot in black and white
Chasing wasted lives
And they can't wait
To go there

Daddy's money
Bought a first class seat
And they all just fly away
On a jet plane to nowhere
On a jet plane to nowhere

Well I'm at a house party
At the Taj Mahal
The portrait hanging
On the wall
Has got too much wine
In her head
And she gets too close
And grabs my face
And says
If you like this place
Well, then you ought to see my bed
She gives an order
To the staff
Looks up
For the photograph
It's hard to know
If you should
Laugh or cry

When you got
Broken children
Shot in black and white
Chasing wasted lives
And they can't wait
To go there

Daddy's money
Bought a first class seat
And they all just fly away
On a jet plane to nowhere

The Hamptons
Is a summer dream
Where little kings
Chase little queens
They eat it up like
Hungry wolverines
And it looks like
The fabric of their life is
Sewn tight
But it's ripping at the seams

Broken children
Shot in black and white
Chasing wasted lives
And they can't wait
To go there

Daddy's money
Bought a first class seat
And they all just fly away
On a jet plane to nowhere
Oh on a jet plane to nowhere
Oh on a jet plane to nowhere


Diana Rissetto

No comments: