Saturday, June 11, 2011

A nose is a nose is a nose.

Last night, a male friend and I were talking about another guy we both know, who is, by all accounts, quite a stellar young man (at least, in my opinion.)...handsome (while also being very adorable at the same time), talented, funny, smart...(etc. etc. etc.)

I brought-up that despite all of that, he seems very insecure sometimes and has absolutely no reason to be, since he's pretty fantastic and should realize that.

My friend was able to explain this with a theory of his...he said he was sure that this guy didn't quite grow into his looks until he was a young adult, and when he was in high school and college, just felt like an awkward mess because he was "all nose." My friend said he had the same problem and didn't quite feel like an attractive young man until he was out-of-college, because he, too, felt like he was "all nose."

I never even realized that either one of these guys had big noses. Or even remotely big noses...certainly nothing to be self-conscious about. I'm not even kidding.

When Olympic champion Evan Lysacek was all over the place for a while, I commented that he looked like an old friend of mine, Sean. My mom said, "Oh, yeah...he was the kid with the big nose."

I pictured Sean's face. "Sean didn't have a big nose!"

My mom replied, "Diana, he looked just like Evan...and Evan has a big nose."

We then argued about whether or not Evan Lysacek had a big nose.



I still don't think he does.

Maybe I am blind.

Or maybe I just find large noses attractive.

Consider other men I find pretty darn great.

Adrien Brody (whose big nose isn't even his own natural big nose, but the result of having a broken one years ago.) That nose gives that face some serious character.



James McAvoy as Mr. Tumnus in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. (I'm sorry...it's near impossible to unadorablize James McAvoy.) When I first saw this movie, I wasn't even sure if he had a fake nose...but it didn't matter. How many young man can be just as attractive as a Fawn as they are a heartsick World War I soldier?



An earlier Harry Connick, Jr. (honestly, his nose doesn't seem that big at ALL these days...even to me...maybe he, too, had to grow into it. Maybe Harry Connick, Jr. is painfully insecure as well. Who knows?)


The supersweet and talented Broadway actor, Sebastian Arcelus...who WILL talk about his nose if you get him started on it.


I don't really see what's wrong with having a big nose. Who says noses need to be "not big" in order to look good?

If that young man really IS insecure because, deep down, he feels like the kid who felt out-of-place because of his big nose, I hope he can learn to realize just how great he really is...schnoz and all.

**(After several sad and emotional entries in a row, I needed this one!) **


Diana Rissetto

1 comment:

Net said...

I was always worried that I would end up with a huge nose like my dad's. I think at least for men big noses look just fine if they are decent men. I can definitely see a gangly, awkward, all-nose kind of phase happening though.

I'm lucky that I ended up with my aunt's nose... except I didn't have to pay for it. (That's actually how she responds if anyone comments on us having identical noses... that I didn't have to pay for mine. Cracks me up!)

Then I see someone like Demi Moore. Most people don't realize she has a big nose. She's too beautiful for it to matter! Or Tom Cruise - most people don't realize he does, either.

I think it's all part of trying to fit the mainstream, typical European features. Big noses mean things like "Jewish!" and even for my parents there was an awful lot of anti-semitism where my dad grew up with a different last name just so my grandfather could get jobs. I think part of the nose-aversion is definitely related to that sort of thing. And it then becomes the style - if everyone you see in the media has these perfect tiny noses, born with them or not - isn't that what you think beauty must be?