Wednesday, March 9, 2011

I hope this woman's amazing karma catches-up with her very soon.

As chronicled, I am job-hunting.

I apply to dozens of jobs a day, probably get about five calls for interviews a day and end-up going-on at least two job interviews per week.

I have had interviews in which the people shake my hand and tell me, "Welcome Aboard!" and then I will never hear from them again. A couple of months ago, I went on an interview and was pretty sure the woman was going to have a parade come through the door any moment in my honor, she made such a big deal over me. I had to call and email her every so often for a month until I finally got a, "Thought you were great, but we hired somebody else!" email from her.

My jobhunt has been known to bring me to tears often. It has happened in every other jobhunt I have gone on, and it is happening once again. I can't help it. It's frustrating. It's discouraging. It makes you feel pretty badly about yourself and wondering if you're full of all of these horrible flaws.

Two days ago, I got a rejection email for a job I had never even been called in to interview for.

The woman who had received my resume cover letter told me that I wasn't going to get the job, but that she could tell I was a really great writer from my cover letter and that she was sure that I would be okay and find the right position soon. She also brought-up how frustrating and exhausting looking for a job is.

I love this girl.

I wrote back to her that if I had a job and thus had money, I would send her a fruit basket for that email. It was the nicest rejection letter I had ever gotten. I feel like she must have been in the same spot I am in right now...when you're applying and interviewing and sometimes walking down the block with your feet aching from the heels and in tears.

I always remember things like this as a sign that I need to pay it all forward. Once I was crying in an elevator and some woman I didn't even know helped me and made sure I got home okay. I never forgot her and whenever I am in an elevator, I always check to see if there are any crying people in it that might need a friend.

If I am ever in the position of combing through resumes and I want to say something nice about somebody's writing...I will. I know now that it just might make their day and give them the energy to keep on going with this exhausting hunt.

Diana Rissetto

No comments: