Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Job-hunting is the hardest job in the world...

I will never forget my first job interview out of college. (And that's saying a lot, because I have gone on, roughly, 135,993 job interviews over the years.) It was to work for a children's publishing house. I remember how warm and lovely the building was, the big deal the two people I met with made over my resume, and how I went shopping right after it because I knew I'd need work clothes soon. I called my mother, so excited.

I knew I was getting that job.

I didn't get that job, or the dozens and dozens of jobs I went in for after it. It took me almost two years to find a full-time job out of college. Turns-out, I sounded wonderful on paper and had absolutely no problem getting interview after interview after interview. Even most of the interviews went really well. I got second interviews with the same companies. I had people showing me my cubicle and asking me when I could start.

I even once had somebody shake my hand and said, "Welcome Aboard!"

(Yup. Never heard from them again.)

Finally, I found a job. And I was laid-off from that job. Three months later...I find another job...yup, laid-off again...a month later, I landed where I would stay for three years and where I saw myself staying for the long haul.

And then...(fill in the blanks.)

This last lay-off was particularly heart-breaking. I loved my job. I felt like (most) people I dealt with loved me back. I was a part of a community I wanted to be in...and then it was taken away from me.

For the past three-and-a-half months, I have been looking for a job.

And, as in the past, I have no problem getting job interviews.

I had one that I would have absolutely loved about a month ago, and never heard from them again, despite the woman raving about what an incredible energy I had and that she knew I could do the job with no problem. She told me she'd let me know if I got the job either way...and I haven't heard from her.

Insert another (smaller) heartbreak.

Jobhunting is capable of sucking the life out of you. I feel my spirit breaking, as it did in my past three jobhunts.

I keep reminding myself that it seems like I always end-up exactly where I am supposed to be, have adventures and experiences I was meant to have and meet people to turn-out to be friends that I can't imagine my life without if I tried.

I am waiting for that to happen again, and I really hope it's soon.

Until then, I have a black dress, a strand of pearls, some nice wedge heals perfect for lots of walking and copies of my resume all set.

Diana

No comments: