Monday, December 27, 2010

"Deep in December, our hearts will remember...and follow..."

One thing that has always made me especially sad is that I didn't grow-up with grandparents. My mom's father died when I was five, my father's when I was ten, and I never met either of my grandmothers.

When I was in the sixth grade, we had to interview an older relative about their lives.

It seemed like everybody had a grandparent to interview but me...

So, I interviewed my father's cousin, Eddie, who was actually older than my mom's father would have been.

My obsession with all things 1940's and WWII was already in full swing, and Eddie was, of course, a member of The Greatest Generation, had been a war hero, and was more than happy to tell me all about it.

After my father died, Eddie would often come over and help my mother fix things around our house.

Eddie passed away on Christmas Day. I wish everybody could have such a long, full, wonderful life as Cousin Eddie did, and I'll always be so grateful that I had somebody very special to interview for that assignment, when I was feeling extra-sad that I didn't have a grandparent.

Diana Rissetto

No comments: