Thursday, May 20, 2010

Sometimes it's impossible not to listen in on other people's conversations on the train

Such as when...

--your Ipod has died.

--your phone has died.

--the train is rather quiet and empty.

--you don't have a good book with you.

--somebody is arguing very loudly on the phone and sitting right in front of you.

When all five of those things happen at the same time, it is next-to-impossible not to.

The other day, I was coming home and the man in front of me was fighting...loudly.

I learned his life story during that trip.

Another young woman was sitting across the aisle from me, and we occasionally looked over at each other...somewhat amused, but mostly horrified.

The way this man was talking to his wife was disgraceful...disrespectful...demeaning...disgusting.

I started to think about this couple I, of course, do not know, and started wondering what kind of a woman would put-up with being spoken to like that by the person who vowed to love and respect her for the rest of her life. It made me incredibly sad. I have a hard time believing it was a one-time thing, and if he speaks that way to her in public, I can only imagine how bad he is when nobody else was around. Granted, I had no idea what was being said on the other side of the line, but nothing warranted the way this man was talking to her.

It was horrible.

My new friend from across the aisle and I got-off at the same stop. We both shook our heads at each other. She said, "I was texting with my husband, 'You would not BELEIVE this guy on the train right now...'"

I told her, "And I bet it made you appreciate him more..."

(I realize that this conversation sounds quite fake, but, really...that's what I said.)

I would rather be single for the rest of my life than be married and spoken to the way that man was talking to his wife. I wonder why any woman would put-up with that.

It just makes me incredibly sad...

Diana Rissetto

No comments: