Sunday, March 14, 2010

I've talked about it a million times before...

...I was laid-off three years ago...

Three years ago this week.

I just realized it was the anniversary...well, now it can be known as the week I met Apolo Anton Ohno...but for three years, it was the week I lost a job that meant so much to me.

Three years ago, my boss told me how great I was, how much everybody liked me, how it was apparent how happy I was there, how hard I tried, how I made people smile.

And then told me to pack-up my desk and never come back.

He even stood over my desk as I did that. Looking back, he clearly did feel really bad and wanted to make sure I was okay...but, at the time, all I wanted was to yell at him, "Why are you staring at me? Do you think I'm going to steal paperclips from you or something?"

I left the office, I sobbed uncontrollably in the elevator, I told the front desk guy I was fired.

I walked-down 42nd Street and continued to sob uncontrollably. It was raining. I was juggling all the stuff from my desk. And I had tickets to see Les Miserables that night.

(Worst and best show ever to see when you're in such a state. A perfect excuse to keep ON sobbing uncontrollably at numerous death scenes.)

Three years have flown-by, but at the same time, so much has happened in those three years that I feel like a very different person than I was. I have grown-up a bit, and have had life-changing adventures and met people that I never would have had I not lost my job on that March day.

For a long time, I was very angry at my former company for what they did to me.

And now I can look back and, yes...I do think they were extremely wrong. There were people in that office that deserved the boot much more than I did.

I'll never understand why it had to be me...but it hurt. It broke my heart.

I finally am forgiving my boss for what happened. I'll forgive him, and I'll feel sorry for him, because I think the company lost somebody pretty cool that day.

I recognize that everything really does happen for a reason, and that losing that job was some kind of blessing in disguise...but I still remember that poor girl crying in the rain and feel so sorry for her! She didn't deserve that.

Diana Rissetto

No comments: