Thursday, August 20, 2009

It's really the smallest city in the world...

...in a city of over eight million, the odds of running into somebody you'd love to avoid are very very great.

It happens to me all the time.

Most people are able to hide behind their hair. I find that impossible to do. My hair is the one thing that people recognize about me. In fact, just the other day, I was hiding behind my hair, trying to avoid somebody in particular...and then I heard a voice call my name, followed by, "I knew that was you! I saw your hair all the way across the street!"

Grrrr.

I need to start carrying around hats and wigs.

Yesterday, I saw somebody who brought back some horrible memories.

I started to dodge this person...which is easier than hiding behind your hair...just start walking in the opposite direction or duck into a Duane Reade.

And then I stopped.

I kept walking in the same direction...I told myself, "You are a good person! A talented writer! You have tons of friends and family that love you! And you have naturally curly hair!"

Holding my head high, I looked right at this dreaded person, and I smiled right at them.

They either didn't see me or didn't recognize me...perhaps that means it "doesn't count"...but it was a big step for me...

It's a lot easier to smile than it is to hide.

Diana Rissetto

1 comment:

Rolfe Bautista said...

you have a fun and interesting blog :D