Thursday, August 20, 2009

It takes a very special guy...

...that is able to rhyme "Kama Sutral" (even writing that word makes me laugh)and "neutral" in one song...and THEN write another song, which uses "Juliet", "met" and "Lafayette" all in the first line...and is somehow able to pull it off...and not only pull it off, but also make magic.



Peter Cincotti is such a guy.

I saw Peter at the Highline Ballroon on W.16th Street last night and, once again, am truly confused as to why he's not selling-out Radio City Music Hall yet.

I feel like the majority of the people there last night were there because they knew him personally...and when Peter mentioned the name of his newest album and the audience responded by cheering, he laughed and said, "Everybody who knows it is here tonight..."

Why is this spectacular young talent New York City's best-kept secret?

I don't get it.

First of all, the guy has the superficial part completely down.

He's young and absolutely adorable.

(Not to mention, he has the same lovable, skinny Italian boy quality that Frank Sinatra had.)




There are plenty of young and absolutely adorable people (and some not-so-absolutely adorable) out there who become hugely famous, get their faces on billboards and have hoards of screaming fans following them wherever they go...

...and they are, of course, lacking what Peter has...

...more talent than anybody I have ever personally been in the presence of.

It's a big thing for me to say...I have been an avid theatre goer for most of my life, and currently work "in the industry." I have been in my share of presence of great talent. I have also seen Harry Connick, Jr. in concert several times, and every time he leaves me absolutely riveted...he was the first person I ever truly was a fan of...but Peter's different...perhaps because he's so young. He writes his own stuff and plays that piano like a dream and I walk away actually feeling a bit alarmed that somebody can have THAT much talent. (And still remain relatively "unfamous.")

Last night, Peter came onto stage in a shiny jacket I've seen him wear before (perhaps it's his lucky shiny jacket) and sang his new stuff, which was quite a cry from his first two albums. He also sang two brand-new songs. In the first, he pleaded with a girl to let him look at her one more time before they went their separate ways so he could live in that moment forever. (Insert the majority of the female audience melting!) The second song was about our society's obsession with technology.

Watching that boy bang the piano is an incredible experience. The energy, the effortlessness, the passion.



He didn't share many anecdotes last night, which was a disappointment, as I think his little stories and goofy personality are just as fantastic as watching him perform.

A few months ago, I sent Peter a script I wrote, which had a character that was inspired by a line from his song "Cinderella Beautiful." ("You know I don't like Christmas, but thanks for the holiday card." I hope that line isn't true and Peter does, indeed, like Christmas. We need a Peter Cincotti Holiday album to add to our collections!) I would love to turn this script into a musical, with Peter's music and, of course, Peter as the star. (Starring opposite America Ferrera. She doesn't know this yet!)

I haven't heard back from him, and still am holding onto hope that I will, and that we will, one day, collaborate, if not on this project than on something else. I think we would work incredibly well together...two dorks from tight-knit Italian-American families who just wish they lived in a happier time when people would go out to dinner and wear nice hats. (He said that in an interview once...and I echo his thoughts completely.)

In my perfect world, Peter will one day be promoting our project on a float in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade.

I probably sound strange...but I don't care.

And we must return to the "Kama Sutral" line. I brought my good friend last night, who has never had the pleasure of seeing Peter in concert. When he sang "Man on the Mission", the song that has the infamous line, he sang, "Put your mind into neutral/Close your eyes...just be Kama Sutral..." and then he repeated the line (something he doesn't do on his album.)

My friend looked at me and laughed. "Was that line really so great that it had to be sung twice?"

If it was anybody else, I'd say no.

But since it was Peter Cincotti singing?

Absolutely.

Diana Rissetto

2 comments:

Steve said...

Hi Diana - well, I think I've finally found the female version of me. I've been a Peter Cincotti fan for so long. I first heard him while I was driving with a friend through Alberta in 2004 and I heard On the Moon and all the others from that CD. I saw him for the first time in Annapolis this past February and immediately booked my ticket to see him in Vegas this past May and of course I was at The Highline Ballroom on Wed night (early show in the balcony). I agree with everything you've said. You've brilliantly written everything I've always felt. Peter is amazing and a wonderful talent and I know that he will be big someday and I enjoy the fact that I can see him in small caberet type shows like Annapolis and New York. I think I was sitting next to his family. All these Italians looking at me wondering how come I know all the words to his songs. I think he's absolutely amazing and will see him, fly to see him... whenever he performs. I hope you have luck with what you sent him... I would suggest sending it to his agent (who was there on Wed night). I look forward to hearing more from you. I like knowing that someone else appreciates Peter the same way I do. I've felt this strongly about him and his music since I heard him in July 2004 and I'm still the biggest fan. Thank you for your post. Steven King... that really is my name... not making it up :) kingbalt3405@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

That's great : thanks for this review Diana ! I 'm enjoying a lot. Thanks to Peter for his talent.
Hugs!
Cristiana