Thursday, August 14, 2008

Jennifer Love HYPOCRITE

The other day, I was in a waiting room and thumbed through the latest issue of Seventeen magazine.(It was the only thing there to read besides Woman's Day, which I don't feel quite old enough to read yet. Seventeen doesn't seem like it was that long ago.)

There was an article about eating disorders and how to spot the symptoms of one.

And right after it...

A "how-to" guide how how to get your "best butt by back to school."

Okay.

Talk about mixed messages.

On one page, we are warning girls not to obsess over their bodies, to seek help if they feel they are falling victim to an eating disorder and how to recognize if a friend is developing a problem...and then on the very next page, we are telling them how very important it is for their butts to look great by the time ninth grade starts. It is one thing to teach girls about proper nutrition and exercise habits...it is another to drill into their minds that having a great butt is, truly, all that really matters.

It's so ridiculous, and it makes me extremely sad and scared for all the young girls I know. I think about the little girls in my life, and I am quite terrified thinking about how things are going to be for them when they are teenagers. Are they going to be afraid to even eat a donut once in their lives? Will they even know what pizza is?

Or will they just be counting calories as soon as they are able to count?

Last year, Jennifer Love Hewitt was frolicking in the ocean in a bathing suit (most people DO wear bathing suits when they go swimming after all), and, as always, ended-up being photographed.

The bloggers went crazy when they saw the photos, saying things like, "We know what you ate last summer, Love! Everything!"

Jennifer (her friends call her Love...but I'm not her friend...and, yes, I know I call Leonardo DiCaprio "Leo" and he is not my friend either...but that's different) responded with:

This is the last time I will address this subject.

I've sat by in silence for a long time now about the way women's bodies are constantly scrutinized. To set the record straight, I'm not upset for me, but for all of the girls out there that are struggling with their body image.

A size 2 is not fat! Nor will it ever be. And being a size 0 doesn't make you beautiful.

What I should be doing is celebrating some of the best days of my life and my engagement to the man of my dreams, instead of having to deal with photographers taking invasive pictures from bad angles. I know what I look like, and so do my friends and family. And like all women out there should, I love my body.

To all girls with butts, boobs, hips and a waist, put on a bikini -- put it on and stay strong.

Xoxo

JLH


I believe her heart was in the right place when she made this statement...BUT...I think she kinda missed the point. I think that the fact that she was a size 2 was irrelevant...even if she was a size 12 or a size 22...NOBODY has a right to plaster pictures of a girl's body on the Internet or in magazines and point out their cellulite and humiliate them.

It's wrong.

It's not nice!

Yesterday, I noticed the cover of US Weekly magazine when I was in the train station.

Who was on the cover but Ms. Jennifer Love Hewitt herself...

http://www.usmagazine.com/jennifer-love-hewitt-reveals-new-thinner-body?page=2&live=1

And what was she talking about now???

How she lost 18 pounds in just 10 weeks.

I am not angry at her for losing weight...that is her business...but I am angry at her for making a big "Girl Power" statement and acting like she was so concerned about all those young girls who struggle with body image issues. She never cared about them nearly as much as she cares about her own public image.

Lose those eighteen pounds if you want...but lose it because you want to, Jennifer Love Hewitt, and not so you could parade on the cover of US Weekly showing-off your new shape.

(And what size are you wearing once you drop almost twenty pounds when you are already a size two??? I am 5'0 with a small build, and five pounds is practically a limb on me.)

Honestly, I am not even a fan of Jennifer Love Hewitt, but as a fellow very short, brown-eyed brunette fan of Audrey Hepburn and floral print skirts girl, I want to like her.

I am so disappointed that somewhere there is an insecure, "overweight" 12-year-old girl who felt so relieved when Jennifer stood-up for herself (and all those young girls that she claims to have cared so much about) last year, and is now looking at that cover of US Weekly going, "I guess I really AM fat after all...I guess I'm not okay the way that I am."

It's very sad.

Jennifer Love Hewitt...I didn't know I ever even HAD much admiration or respect for you to lose to begin with (that is not meant as an insult, I just couldn't care either way)...I am very disappointed in you.

Diana Rissetto

No comments: