Sunday, August 17, 2008

"Never trust a man who doesn't have eyes like Sinatra..."

Every so often, I get really interested in a subject and have to read every book and watch every documentary I can FIND on that subject.

The most recent was the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising.

Now, when I was in high school, I remember my junior year history teacher telling us, "Okay, you don't need to bring your textbooks to class for the next few weeks...we're going to be devoting the next three weeks on the Holocaust."

And yet, we never learned about the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising.

And we really should have. I think it's one of the most inspiring, devastating chapters of World War II, and also the most incredible tribute to the human spirit.

I recently read this book (http://www.amazon.com/Wall-John-Hersey/dp/0394756967/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219021736&sr=8-1), reread parts of this book, which I read last year, (http://www.amazon.com/review/product/0553241605/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?%5Fencoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1) and watched this miniseries (http://www.amazon.com/Uprising-Leelee-Sobieski/dp/B00005QAQI/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1219021826&sr=8-2 . I am not even joking...I have newfound respect for David Schwimmer as an actor!)

I am definitely enlightened, and think it is extremely important to learn about such events...however, all of this research started to get to me. I even had a dream that I was part of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising the other night.

I needed something lighter.

And that "something lighter" was Dream for an Insomniac.

I had seen this movie a while ago, and decided to watch it again.

It is, indeed, a Diana movie.

First of all, it's about a girl named Frankie who was brought up in an Italian-American family which practically regards Frank Sinatra as a member.

There is one scene when she is just randomly dressed-up as Holly Golightly (something I have done, but at least I was going to a costume party)...she has problems sleeping...(I am pretty sure I haven't had a good night's sleep since I was about 9-years-old), and she lost both of her parents when she was a child. (I lost my father when I was a child.) She is a flighty, romantic creative type, and one of her good friends is her cute gay cousin, Rob.

(I have several cute gay male friends myself, including my friend Matt, who recently told me that this blog is one of the seventeen websites which he checks religiously. HI MATT!!!)

The movie stars Ione Skye as Frankie...I have been told that I look like Ione Skye exactly twice, but it's probably just in that way that all, "Pale girls with curly dark hair and big lips" look alike.

Frankie is a dreamer who doesn't sleep, and floats around quoting other romantics and wears her heart on her sleeve.

Honestly, the next time somebody takes my life and totally makes a movie about it, I would really like to be contacted first.

Diana Rissetto

No comments: