Saturday, February 2, 2008

Displaying Framed Baby Photos of Oneself: A Lesson in Confidence

Last year, somebody came into my place of work (which is no longer my place of work, and if you don't know what happened there, you obviously haven't been paying very close attention to this blog) and saw the picture of my cousin's little girl on my desk and asked me,

"Is that a picture of you when you were a baby?"

Without missing a beat, I replied:

"Yes, that's a picture of me when I was a baby. I just love myself SO MUCH that I display framed baby pictures of myself, wherever I go."

The guy just nodded.

I paused for a moment, then squinted, and said, "No, it's actually my NIECE. Why would I display a baby picture of MYSELF on my desk?"

The guy shrugged.

"It looks a lot like you."

Me: That's because we're related!

Now, I really thought the idea of loving oneself so much that you display a framed baby picture of yourself on your desk at work was ridiculous...

And then I got to thinking...

I think we all SHOULD love ourselves SO MUCH that we display framed baby pictures of ourselves on our desks at work.

I have always suffered from slight insecurities.

(Just sliiiiiiiiiight.)

I think I have a lot of people fooled, because I am crazy energetic and bubbly and all of that...and insecure people usually are quiet and hang their heads low...but I am pretty insecure...and I have gotten to the point where I have ACCEPTED my insecure self, and am actually quite secure in my insecurity.

But I think this random guy might be onto something.

Love yourself enough to display framed baby photos of yourself, everybody.

No comments: