Thursday, December 6, 2007

To quote Tyra Banks..."SO WHAT!"

Kate Winslet is Number 1 on my list of "British Girls I Want to be Best Friends With" list. She has been for many years. (The list isn't that long...the Number 2 slot goes to another Kate...Kate Middleton...mainly because if she was my best friend, I would get to meet her boyfriend, Prince William. Then Kate would go, "Wills, I'd like you to meet my new best friend, Diana!" And William will shake my hand and say, "Ah, yes. That is a very easy name for me to remember!")

I really just love Kate Winslet. Last year, I noticed commotion outside of a theatre, and paused to see what was going on. It was opening night of The Vertical Hour, directed by Kate's husband Sam Mendes. Kate was making her grand entrance, and for a couple of minutes, I stood across the street with a bunch of tourists (I heard somebody remark in a charming drawl, "What a day! We saw Matt Lauer this morning, and tonight we saw KATE WINSLET!") and openly gawked at her. SHe is one of the few celebrities that I would do that for. The girl is drop-dead pretty, but also just seems so down-to-earth that I could totally imagine the two of us hanging out and knitting together and eating mini-Cadbury eggs. Sense and Sensibility is one of my favorite movies, and Marianne Dashwood one of my favorite (and most relatable!) fictional characters of all-time. Of course, I fell into the "obsessed with Titanic trap" when the film came out...I was a 15-year-old girl...of course I did. I just really think she's great, and her attitude in every interview I have ever read with her is surprisingly refreshing.

Kate Winslet doesn't care about what anybody else thinks about her. She loves herself, and thinks all girls should love themselves, regardless of what others say. Now, THAT, I believe, is the most beautiful quality she has!

When a girl was on I Want a Famous Famous Face striving to look like my favorite girl, Kate:

There's at least one celebrity who isn't a fan of MTV's plastic surgery makeover show "I Want a Famous Face." Kate Winslet tells the London Times she broke down in tears as she watched a fan named Jennette undergo several painful procedures, including a boob job and tummy tuck, to look more like her. "I could not believe this girl was putting herself through this because she wanted to look like what she thought I looked like," Kate said.


Another great Kate quote:


"When I read how an actress 'made a statement in black', I just think, 'Oh, period or fat day.' Sometimes you just don't feel confident enough to wear twinkly, yellow taffeta."


Not to mention: http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20011635,00.html

"I will continue to say what I feel about this issue of women being thin and emaciated. It's just out of control," she said Sunday. "I know I'm a role model to young women. It's a role that I take very, very seriously and I would never want anyone to ever think I was a hypocrite in doing something like going to a diet doctor, for goodness sake. I mean, it's really, really ridiculous."


Ms. Winslet, you are AWESOME. Never change!

Last week, I heard a lot of buzz about Jennifer Love Hewitt. I really don't have much of an opinion about Jennifer Love Hewitt either way. (As in, if she was British, she wouldn't make my list of British Girls I Wish Were My Best Friends list.) I think she did a pretty good job when she played Audrey Hepburn. From watching that, I could tell she had a genuine love and admiration for Audrey and wanted to do her very best. (Still...Audrey is Audrey. Nobody can touch her.)

Jennifer (or "Love", as her friends call her...but I am not her friend!) wore a bikini (to the beach, usually a good place to wear one), was photographed from behind, and was attacked.

For having cellulite.

For having a big butt.

For having big hips and thighs.

For being fat fat fat and out-of-shape.

Hewitt issued a statement(on her own blog...does everybody have a blog now?! Guess so.)

I've sat by in silence for a long time now about the way women's bodies are constantly scrutinized. To set the record straight, I'm not upset for me, but for all of the girls out there that are struggling with their body image. A size two is not fat! Nor will it ever be. And being a size zero doesn't make you beautiful.


Now, I am glad that she spoke out...however...even if she wasn't a size 2 (which, of course, is NOT fat...however, now that there is such a thing as a size 00...a size 2 is bigger than it was 20 years ago...why IS there a size 00 anyway???)..even if she was a size TWENTY-TWO, it wouldn't be okay for magazines and gossip columnists and random people on the internet to call her fat and scrutinize her body. NOBODY has the right to do that to anybody. I hate that women and girls are victims of this so often, and yet, nobody cares when a guy gains ten pounds. It's a scary time to be a young woman and keep a strong sense of self-esteem.

So, I was thinking Jennifer Love Hewitt's comments of "I'm a size two and I am not fat" were well-intended, but still critical of girls' bodies/weights.

Then I realized...I am just as guilty of having a warped sense of what is an acceptible size.

I am 5'0 with a small build. If I lose or gain ten pounds, I might as well cut off a limb. I am at a point that I AM okay with myself, mainly because I know how I am healthy and happy and I take care of myself. However, I also had a rough time with my weight growing-up. I remember skipping lunches in the 4th grade and thinking that every girl in the room was so much thinner than I was. I even remember at a family party...I was around 7...and a relative looked at me and went, "You are a fat little girl!" I still cringe whenever I see that relative. What a completely stupid thing to say to a child.

Last year, a girl I worked with complimented a dress I had on and said that I always wore such cute clothes. A compliment. Then she went, "What size are you? An 8?"

I squinted. "No...I'm usually a 2 or 4..."

The girl's jaw dropped and she went, "No WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!"

She didn't believe me.

She had to look at the tag on my dress and see the 2 for herself to believe that I indeed was a size 2.

(Now, I think that was pretty rude, ESPECIALLY coming from another woman. They should know better.)

For the next few days, I kept remembering that incident. I even went to the store and tried on some size 8's and realized that they WERE much too big on me. I am not a size 8! 2's and 4's fit me...but an 8?

Then I realized...

Who the hell cares?

Even if I was a size 8...would that be the end of the world?

I most certainly feel like a hypocrite at the idea of being called two or three sizes bigger than my usual...(and I still think that girl was pretty rude for how she reacted)...but I think it just goes to show you that NONE of us are immune to these feelings!

I bet if I was best friends with Kate Winslet, she'd always have lots of advice and wisdom and comforting words for me.

Diana Rissetto

No comments: