Wednesday, December 26, 2007

"Keep Christmas with you, all through the year..."

When Christmas time is over and presents put away, don't be sad
There'll be so much to treasure about this Christmas day and the fun we've had
So may happy feelings to celebrate with you
And, oh, the good times hurry by so fast,
But even when it's over there's something you can do to make Christmas last

Keep Christmas with you
All through the year,
When Christmas is over,
You can keep it near.
Think of this Christmas day
When Christmas is far away.

Keep Christmas with you
All through the year,
When Christmas is over,
Save some Christmas cheer.
These precious moments,
Hold them very dear
And keep Christmas with you
All through the year.

Christmas means the spirit of giving
Peace and joy to you,
The goodness of loving,
The gladness of living;
These are Christmas too.

So, keep Christmas with you
All through the year,
When Christmas is over,
Save some Christmas cheer.
These precious moments,
Hold them very dear
And keep Christmas with you
All through the year.



The words to that Sesame Street Christmas song always start running through my head on Christmas night, when I already feel the "post-holiday blues" coming on.

(The Sesame Street gang sings it in the special when Big Bird is wondering how Santa Claus gets through that skinny chimeny...and Bert and Ernie have their own "Gift of the Magi" situation, when Burt sells his paperclips to buy Ernie a soapdish for his rubber ducky...and Ernie sells his rubber ducky to buy Bert a box for his paperclips!)

I really really LOVE this time of year!

And then suddenly...it's just all over!

I get so sad. Last week, I roamed around midtown, thinking about how the big tree and the Bryant Park shoppes and all the lights and tourists (yes, even the tourists) wouldn't be there in a few days!

They really should ease you out of it just a little. I feel a bit of culture shock when it goes from being the holidays to just dreary and cold December.

On Thanksgiving Day, 106.7 starts playing Christmas songs. (I would love to know just how many times a day they played Clay Aiken's "Silver Bells.") In the wee small hours of December 26, the Christmas music stops. I am pretty sure it wouldn't hurt to at least throw us a few Christmas songs here and there until, say, February.

Lifetime became Falalala Lifetime for the entire month until Christmas Day!

And right now, on Lifetime, we don't have Susan Lucci or Vanessa Williams' brilliant takes on a Christmas Carol! Or that charming tale when Santa Claus has amnesia and has no idea who he is and the reporter who helps him, and uncovers the TRUE meaning of Christmas along the way! Or even the full-length movie based on the song The Christmas Shoes. (That song about the kid who wants to buy his mom fancy shoes because she's going to die soon and she needs to look beautiful when she goes to Heaven and meets Jesus. I really want to know who comes up with this stuff. I am, most likely, one of the sappiest and most maudlin people in the world...and I love a good tearjerker! But even I can't imagine ever coming up with a story like that.)

Right now, I have Lifetime on and while I am not quite sure what is going on in this movie (I turned it on late and am not really paying attention), I think that this young woman fell in love with a billionaire, and now she thinks that he killed his two last wives, but he really didn't...I think? And she really DID marry him for love, not for money, even though his sister thinks she's a huge gold-digger. (I think that is what's going on, at least.)

This movie has nothing to do with the holiday spirits!!!!!!!!!

For 25 days, we had Falalala Lifetime.

Now we just have movies with adultery and battered wives and Valerie Bertinelli and custody battles and stolen identity and Patti Duke and people saying, "GIVE ME BACK MY BABY!"

(I have nothing against such movies. I love such movies. But I love the holiday season more!)

I know I could very easily pop in 98 Degrees' Christmas album (shut-up, it's great) or watch It's a Wonderful Life on my old VHS...but it is so not the same.

Diana Rissetto

No comments: