Monday, August 13, 2007

Just a Couple of Diananecdotes

That just might be the title of my memoir. (It was supposed to be Hey, Get Your Elbow out of my Prosciutto!). Maybe that can be the subtitle.

This weekend, was my sister's bachelorette party. I could write on and on about how, to me, barhopping isn't nearly as fun as a trip to the dentist, or I could just share two somewhat funny exchanges that occured.

I am crazy allergic to most animals. (I can live without cats, but I absolutely love dogs, so that saddens me greatly.) My sister's black Lab Jack is a lovely young fellow, but after a few minutes around him, I am rubbing my eyes and wanting to stick a knife in my ear. (They get very very very itchy.)

We were hanging out at my sister's house, and Jack was sitting by my feet. I started to sneeze, and then looked down at Jack and said, "Sorry Buddy!"

My cousin Kelly looked very confused and asked me who I was apologizing too. She thought I was saying, "Sorry Buddy" to GOD for sneezing. I'm not sure WHY I would do that...maybe because people say "God Bless You" when you sneeze...so I was apologizing to God for sneezing, and being blessed, and giving him a little extra work to do?

Anyway, the idea of bowing my head and calling God "Buddy" was funny.

Later on, the gang of us headed over to a spa. A woman came over to us and asked, "Is one of you Millie? I need to see Millie."

Now, she was talking to six young women all between the ages of 25 and 35. (Among these girls...Kelly...Liz...Jen...)

Afterwards, my sister commented, "How could she think one of us was MILLIE? Do we LOOK like Millies?" My cousin laughed and said, "That's right...Millie is such an old lady's name." My sister tilted her head to the side and said, "Actually, Diana looks like a Millie." My cousin nodded and agreed, "Yes, Diana could definitely be a Millie (don't you love it when people talk about you like you are not even in the room?) Diana, you're an old soul."

I have always known this.

I often say that I am a 75-year-old woman in a young body. Heck, I was even president (and at times, the only member) of the Intergenerational Club in high school. (We hung out with old people.)

However, the name Millie conjures up very positive thoughts for me.

I think about this:



And I am very proud to be a Millie.

Diana Rissetto

No comments: