Friday, August 17, 2007

Funny the way songs conjure up images...

Yesterday, I put on the radio and an old song came on. It automatically made me laugh and imagine one of my close friends from high school (that I still count among my closest friends) rollerblading on the boardwalk with a guy she had a really big crush on (whom I haven't seen in eight years) (while they giggled and ate frozen yogurt, of course).

The song?

More Today Than Yesterday by the Spiral Staircase. (I had to look up both the correct title of the song, AND the artists. It is one of those songs that I am pretty sure everybody in the world knows and can sing along with, but has no idea who sang it or what it's called.)


I don't remember what day it was
I didn't notice what time it was
All I know is that I fell in love with you
And if all my dreams come true
I'll be spending time with you


Anyway, there is a reason that this song makes me think of one of my close friends from high school rollerblading on the boardwalk with a guy she had a really big crush on (while they giggled and ate frozen yogurt, of course). Although I admit to being a completely random person, this story is actually going somewhere.

When I was a freshman in college, my friend was still a senior in high school and spent the afternoon with said boy. She told me, "It was just like that song...you know...'I love you more today than yesterday...but not as much as tomorrow.'"

Immediately, that boardwalk and frozen yogurt vision of them came into my mind. I will never hear that song without thinking of them. I am sure both of them have forgotten that day and have moved on with their lives, but it is forever etched upon my mind.I have no idea WHERE the rollerblading and frozen yogurt came from, because she gave me no indication that either were involved. It just really did seem like the perfect "rollerblade and eat frozen yogurt and giggle" song.

I was just spreading the Peter Cincotti (if you've missed my countless raves about this kid...the boy is fantastic. What a talent. And he's going to be performing alongside Michael Buble and Idina Menzel in a few weeks at Madison Square Garden, and I can just see him skyrocketing into superstardeom)love and telling my friend Laura all about him via AIM. I told her that his cover of "Up on the Roof" is absolutely beautiful and makes you wish that you were sitting up on that damn roof with Peter (or a Peter-like fellow), and it was a late fall evening (or early winter) and he was wearing a long knit scarf (that you've made yourself) and you are surrounded by your Jack Russell terriers. (Who are also wearing knit scarves.)

(I read in an interview with Peter when he says that he never won a girl over by singing to her. I have a hard time believing that. Heck, he's practically won ME over by singing to me, and we have never even met.)


At night the stars put on a show for free
And darlin', you can share it all with me


(Seriously! Beautiful! I don't care if he didn't write it...he made that song modern and youthful and crazy romantic.)

When my sister and I would drive to school together (I was a freshman, she was a senior), we would listen to one of her mix tapes every day that had "Every Little Thing She Does is Magic" on it.

I remember my sister saying that this was her "theme song" and it's a song you want a guy to hear when he is thinking about you...we started making up different visuals...it plays in the guy's mind as he watches you take your hair out of a scrunchie and shake out your head...as you're walking down the street with your poodles (or maybe a really big dog like a Great Dane!) and the laeshes get wrapped around your leg and you trip (which would most certainly happen to me)...skipping in the park with a bunch of little kids. I'll never hear that song without thinking about scrunchies and tripping over dog leashes.

(I will also admit to watching about 98 different YouTube videoes of Ron Weasley thinking about Hermione Granger with that song playing. It is a true example of why I need a life that I am so involved with the love lives of fictional teenagers.)

Anyway, songs are some very powerful tools (and weapons.)

To this day, there are still certain songs to me that scream "rollerblade on the Boardwalk and eat frozen yogurt and giggle." (Among them...Frank Sinatra's "I Get a Kick out of You", "Happy Together" by the Turtles and James Taylor's "Your Smiling Face.")

I will never change. I accept that.

Diana Rissetto

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Songs as weapons... boy do I know *that* one.

A songwriter who may have never found love through songs, but he earned hate through choosing to use them as weapons. You know who I'm talking about. Ugh.

-Net