Monday, July 30, 2007

A heartwarming tale for your Monday morning...

Gather around for a Chicken Soup for the Soul Story brought to you by Diana...

My cousin Kristy got married last night, and my sister was a bridesmaid. At the rehearsal dinner the night before, the bride's dad, my cousin Johnny, pulled my sister aside and handed her a dollar bill and told her it was for good luck for her own wedding. (In September)

(If you need a visual, Johnny looks just like Billy Crystal...he actually got star treatment at Blue Man Group because one usher thought he was Billy and spread the word.)

So, he hands Andrea a $1 bill...and my sister is slightly confused and goes, "Okay...thanks?"

And Johnny tells my sister a story...

When my dad died 8 years ago, he was buried in the city, but we had everybody over to our house in NJ, mainly to cut out people that we weren't too close out so we'd just have our closest friends and family. It was my mom's idea, since we were all so drained and didn't need a big crowd.

More people than we thought ended up showing up (guess my dad was more loved than we thought :)), and we didn't have enough beverages.

Johnny went to the store to pick some up, and when he paid, the cashier gave him his change, including this $1 bill...

This $1 bill had the name "Andy" written on it in in big letters twice...

Andy, of course, was my dad's name...

It is a federal offense to write on money, of course. :)

Johnny figured it was a sign. (See, I'm not the only freak in my family who finds "signs" in everything!!!!!)

Johnny saved this dollar bill for over eight years until he could give it to one of us on a special occasion.

We had a very good cry over it, then told some of our other cousins at Kristy's wedding last night and they all had a really good cry too. I'm glad he did it on on Friday instead of waiting for my sister's wedding day, because Heaven knows we'll all be crying enough that day...

Maybe it's looking way too deep into things, but I think it's hitting us how hard and sad my sister's wedding is going to be because it's just another special milestone that my dad is missing...so that dollar bill made us all smile (once we were able to stop crying for thirty seconds.)

Of course, the story would have been more touching if my dad's name had been Severus.

Diana Rissetto

No comments: